Friday, March 18, 2011

The Waltz ... Dorothy Parker


I wonder how women think about men, and if they want to talk about men, how do they feel? Before we get to that point, let me remind you that women were treated very badly in the past. Since the beginning of society, men were over control of women by strong physical activities. Men were known as leaders in the household and the “breadwinners”. Women’s role was to stay home and do their work, plus to obey their husbands and reared their children. It was best considered as “The Cult of True Womanhood”.
However, women did not satisfied with it, as time passed by, women got higher education and became knowledgeable, and they requested and fought for their right.
Most of the women were not afraid of men; they thought and described how they feel about men. For example, in “The Waltz” by Dorothy Parker, the author concentrates on describing about her hatred relation to a man. There must be a major problem that had happened between them, that make the girl hated him so much. That she could have done anything to ended him.

“I don’t want to dance with him. I don’t want to dance with anybody. And even if I did, it wouldn’t be him, … I wonder if what I’d better do – kill him this instant, with my naked hands, or wait and let him drop in his traces” (490-491). It shows that this woman had a very bad feeling toward this man, when she is describing him; you hear only hatred in her voice. And this did not end soon, she even goes further saying that: “I hated him the moment I saw his leering, bestial face. And here I’ve been locked in his noxious embrace for the thirsty-five years this waltz has lasted. Is that orchestra never going to stop playing? Or must this obscene travesty of a dance go on until hell burns out?” (492-493)

* * * Sandra M. Gilbert & Susan Gubar. "The Norton Anthology of Literature by Women: The Traditions in English". New York, N.Y: Norton & Company, Inc 2007, (490-493).

No comments:

Post a Comment